augustcreativity

Friday, August 04, 2006

Are chips vegetables?

This highly philosophical question, which sometimes prevents me from sleeping, can probably be related to the culture shock we mentioned in a previous lesson. According to some French prejudices, the Belgian are supposed to eat chips all the time, which I can assure you we don't do. Anyway, when we eat some, we mainly eat them as a side dish, with meat or fish and vegetables, NEVER with pasta, rice, pizza, baked potatoes or other "carbohydrates". So do the British consider chips as vegetables like tomatoes, courgettes or the famous green peas? Do I miss anything not eating chips with my spaghettis? Please let me know and help me to sleep better!

6 Comments:

  • At 1:32 pm, Blogger Annema said…

    I can not answer this highly philosophical question but I saw you tried pizza and chips. So Corine, how have you survived that cultural shock?

     
  • At 1:35 pm, Blogger mira said…

    I eat chips from time to time, but never ever with potatoes or rice or pasta. In Poland we have chips with fish or meat and vegetables or just chips with solt or ketchup. We don't consider chips or potatoes as 'vegetables'. When we have potatoes and meat we have also some vegetables like carrots or peas or beans.

     
  • At 1:38 pm, Blogger mira said…

    Yesterday I was in a restaurant with my friends and they had dishes of some meat, smashed potatoes, green peas and CHIPS. We never eat potatoes AND chips at the same time in Poland.

     
  • At 9:06 am, Blogger corine said…

    I tried pizza and chips indeed ( we have to be open-minded, don't we?) and so far I haven't noticed any side effects, apart from a persistent desire to eat more (possible addiction???)and a proliferation(?) of flat cells in parts of my body I cannot mention...

     
  • At 11:30 am, Blogger corine said…

    ..I meant FAT cells of course, they aren't as flat as I wish

     
  • At 11:48 am, Blogger Mariana said…

    I thought I was living in the country where the greatest amount of patatoes was eaten, namely, Germany. It's funny to go to the market and listen to the housewives talking with the shop assistants. It seems to be thousands of different types of potatoes, and of course different ways to cook them. However, Germans never eat boiled potatoes together with chips or smashed potatoes. So it was quite an experience here in Britain! I've eaten lasagna and chips, pasta and chips... and I've even seen people eating boiled potatoes with chips.
    Do the British eat potatoes as a substitue of bread?!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home